The Father of Isaac C BOVARD

I have been trying to find the father of Isaac C BOVARD for a few months. I had found on message boards and mailing lists as well as online trees that others believe that Robert BOVARD from Ireland was Isaac's father. Since I had no proof, I couldn't make the leap even though there seemed on only be on family of BOVARDs in the Switzerland county, Indiana area.

This weekend I was at ACPL for the Palatines to America conference. I was reminded of Filby's Passenger List Index that is available through Ancestry. I searched for all my German surnames and got no relevant hits, but then I searched for BOVARD. I found an entry for a Robert Bovard that was sourced to an article on Switzerland Naturalizations. While at ACPL, I looked up the article and found:

Gibbs, Ann. "Switzerland County Naturalizations: October 1825-April 1829." The Hoosier Genealogist 22 (June 1982): 42-45.

"Bovard, Robert: 20 October 1828 Court; age 47, b. County of Formaugh; from Londonderry 13 May 1803 to N. Y. City 16 Jun 1803; childred: Mary Ann, Martha Jane, John, Isaac, Eliza Ann, Charlotte, Robert; resident of Dearborn Co.; intent filed."

Not only did I find the county of Robert BOVARD's birth (it should be County Fermanagh, Ireland), but I also found a listing of his children. There is his son Isaac, my ancestor. I still need to get to the original source and see the naturalization record for myself, but I was so excited to find the link between the generations.

I had already found Robert BOVARD in the censuses and today put him and the entire family into my database.
1820 - Randolph township, Dearborn county, Indiana
1830 - Union township, Dearborn county, Indiana
1840 - Cotton township, Switzerland county, Indiana
1850 - Cotton township, Switzerland county, Indiana

In 1860, Robert's wife Margaret is living with their daughter Martha in Cotton, Switzerland county, Indiana. Next door is their son Robert Bovard (Jr.).

Here is what I have so far on the family:

Robert BOVARD - Born about 1780 in County Fermanagh, Ireland. Died between 1850 and 1860.

Margaret (unknown maiden name) - Born about 1789 in Pennsylvania. Died between 1860 and 1870.

Children:
Mary Ann - Born between 1805 and 1810 based on the 1820 and 1830 censuses.

Martha Jane - Born 1 Mar 1811 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Died 12 Feb 1863 and buried in Bovard Cemetery in Cotton township, Switzerland county, Indiana.

John M - Born about 1812 in Ohio. Married Sarah Ann HAGERMAN on 6 May 1842 in Switzerland county, Indiana.

Isaac C - Born 31 Oct 1817 in Hamilton county, Ohio. Married Ursula SHEPARD on 26 May 1844 in Switzerland county, Indiana. Died 27 Jun 1872 and buried in Bovard Cemetery in Cotton township, Switzerland county, Indiana.

Eliza Ann - Born about 1821 in Indiana (1880 census says Ohio). Married Scott BILLINGS on 6 Jan 1842 in Switzerland county, Indiana.

Charlotte - Born about 1822 in Indiana. Married John W McHENRY on 25 Nov 1843 in Switzerland county, Indiana.

Robert - Born 10 May 1825 in Indiana. Married Maria HEATH on 9 Mar 1857 in Switzerland county, Indiana. Died 5 May 1902 in Bovard Cemetery in Switzerland county, Indiana.

Melissa - Born about 1829 in Indiana. Married Francis M MANSER on 23 Oct 1859.

The children can all be found in Switzerland and Ohio county, Indiana for the census.

Marriages were found in: Switzerland County IN Marriages 1814-1885. Name: Scheuer Publications; Location: Warsaw, IN; Date: 1994.

Burials were found in: Wanda L Morford. Switzerland County Indiana Cemetery Inscriptions 1817-1985. Name: W L Morford; Location: Cincinnati, Ohio; Date: 1986;.

0 comments: