Shepherd Family

I went to the Military Symposium at the Allen County Public Library last weekend. It was not as good as the Family History 101 workshop that I attended in July. Too many numbers of where things were located at the National Archives and not enough substance. Anyway I looked at a couple of books while at the library for Robert Bruce Bascom in the civil war. I found a book that listed the death of all of the Indiana civil war veterans and found an entry for R B Bascom who died in 1907. That matched the death date that I had, so I must have the correct pension file number. I just wanted to check to make sure that the index card that I had found was really for my Robert Bruce Bascom and not for someone else before I spend the 75 dollars for the pension file.

On Tuesday night, I decided to google for Robert and see if anyone else had posted anything about his civil war experience. I only got about 5 hits searching for his full name. I skipped over one site because I thought it was just someone's family tree and not anything interesting. The surname for the site didn't match any that I had (or so I thought). Since I didn't have many hits, I went back to the site that I had skipped over "Shepherd Family History." I can't believe what I found. Someone took the time to transcribe and post online the family history of John Shepherd that was written in 1913. I didn't remember any Shepherd's in my family tree, but I tracked down why Robert Bruce Bascom was in the book.

Robert Bruce Bascom married Olive Bovard. She was the daughter of Issac Bascom and Ursula Shepherd (I forgot all about her). Ursula was the granddaughter of John Shepherd. The book gives me some more dates and information on her family that I probably wouldn't have been able to find without the book. There are picture of some of the members of the family, including Ursula's father James.

The really odd thing about the book is that it says that John Shepherd's family lived in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. The same city that dad is from. Another weird connection made.

0 comments: